Thursday, October 28, 2010

Time to Make the Donuts! Daring Bakers Challenge, Oct 2010





So, I have been sooooo damn excited and could not wait for my first Daring Bakers Challenge! Never heard of it? Well, the Daring Bakers Challenge happens once a month. You have to be accepted into the group in order to get the next months challenge. I was a little iffy at first. But, then I thought, "What the hell, might as well try it, huh?"

This months challenge: Donuts. I know! DONUTS!! A bit scary when you think about it, right? It can be a thing of beauty if done right. But, if done wrong...watch out buddy. Hard, hockey pucks expoding in your stomach. Yes, I may be a little melodramatic but oh, well. Here is a link to Alton Brown's Donut Recipe.




I must say that I absolutely love the smell of bread yeast. So, it was great just for that. My house smelled like freshly baked bread for days. I loved rolling out the dough and cutting out circles with juice glasses. That part was much easier than I thought.


















Oh, and when I took off the teacloth once the donuts did their final "poff" it was beautiful. Aren't they pretty?














But then I had to transfer them from the cookie sheet to the hot oil (cue dramatic music). How do I put this? A couple came out looking a bit like Krispy Kreme glazed donuts. However, a majority came out looking like tumors. There were a couple that were pretty enough for pictures. But, it's not about how pretty they come out, right? It's about the taste. Yummy!



I decided to fry the donut holes and roll them in cinnamon sugar. Delicious!


The verdict? Would I do it again? Maybe. I think I will try to make the donuts that are more cake-like and use the donut shaped baking pan and see how those babies come out. We'll see. But this is the main reason why I joined the Daring Bakers. I know that I would never have tried to make donuts on my own. I would have found a way to put it off since I am the Queen of Procrastinators. So, thank you Daring Bakers for making me do something that was a little out of my comfort zone.


~Smoooches~

























3 comments:

  1. Welcome to The Daring Bakers! We all hope you have as much fun as everybody there. I'm sure you will. Great job on your first challenge. Your doughnuts look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello and welcome to the Daring Bakers' and congrats on your 1st very successful challenge. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the challenge so much and that you are gaining new skills. Lovely photo of the doughnuts. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Renata and Audax! I am so excited to be part of the Daring Bakers.

    ReplyDelete